How to write a thank you email
Saying thanks is an email superpower. Take the time to write and send a thank you, and you could change someone's day.
Thank you emails build someone’s confidence – and it's only polite to say thanks if someone has helped you.
The purpose of every thank you email is to express gratitude. Of course, you'll want to carefully consider the audience and let that influence the positive tone of voice.
Ultimately, sending a thank you email is about making someone smile.
Thank you emails are awesome to receive and easy to write and send with our guide. We go through the basics of the thank you email format (showing you how to run the fine line between formal and informal) and provide 39 expertly crafted examples to show you how it's done.
Want more? We've also created the best thank you email template available.
Thank you email format
A thank you email could be as short as two words: thank you. But you'll want to explain why you're saying thank you and the positive impact their actions have had on you.
There are no limits on the length of emails; write something long enough to give an appropriate thank you.
Ensure emails are formatted correctly (with proper spacing, punctuation, and grammar) and written in professional language.
There are three elements common to every thank you email:
- Subject line
- Body copy
We go through each in order, building up a template thank you email suitable for all situations.
1. Thank you email subject line
Let's start with a few key principles. Thank you message subject lines should be brief and specific. They should include a few keywords that explain what you're saying and why. And, of course, the subject line should convey appreciation (if not, why are you sending it?).
Here are some example thank you email subject lines we're sending for a partner who has managed to secure us a great deal:
- Thank you for your hard work!
- Thanks for the new contract
- Appreciate your hard work in negotiations!
- Congratulations on securing the new contract
- Thanks for interviewing me today
- Steve, it was a pleasure meeting you!
Sometimes you'll want to use your thank you emails to encourage more engagements. That's possible too:
- Was awesome chatting with you – shall we schedule a meeting?
2. Thank you email body
Let's get into the meat (or filling, if you're a vegetarian) of this thank you email sandwich. The thank you email body should use clear and concise language to express gratitude. Take the time to personalize the message, adding specific details and examples. This shows sincerity and enthusiasm that you won't get it if you send a cookie-cutter response.
You might want to offer a gift or return a favor. If that's the case, be sure to add your details. Here's an example thank you email body...
- Thank you for all your hard work in securing us a great new deal.
- All of us at (company name) wanted to single you out for all your hard work and dedication. We would never have got the deal over the line without your commitment and support. To say thank you, we would like to send you a token of our appreciation. Can you share your address?
3. How to end a thank you email
You've said thank you and offered a gift; now let's close off our thank you email. It's important to close with professionalism and provide your contact details. You may choose to reiterate why you're grateful or end with another thanks – it’s up to you.
Here is an example of how to end our sample thank you message to our super salesperson.
- We're excited to build on our relationship with you and your company. Once again, thank you for all your efforts in making this happen.
- It would be great to stay in touch, and I've included my contact details below.
- I wish you well with the rest of your day.
- Kind regards,
If you're still searching for some email ending inspiration, our guide to email closing lines includes 40 solid gold examples you can use for every situation – including thank you emails.
39 thank you email samples
Thanks for getting this far through the guide; it's now time to put the principles into practice.
Saying thank you in an email should be simple using these 39 thank you email samples suitable for professional situations.
We provide a brief intro to each, then dive into the example. Use these for inspiration (or take the simple approach and simply copy and paste them); it's up to you...
1. After the career fair thank you email
An email thank you after a career fair is a great way to establish a connection with a potential employer. We aim to create a personal connection in this example of a careers fair thank you email. The message acts as a reminder.
2. Interview thank you email
Wondering how to write a thank you email after an interview (read more here)? This example is for you. Sending an email after an interview is "vital", says Kiely Kuligowski in Business News Daily, and we agree. A post-interview thank you email doesn't need to be long or detailed, but it does need to be timely. Aim to send one within 24 hours of the interview and on the same day if possible. Short emails can undoubtedly be sweet as you'll see in this thank you email sample.
3. Thank you email for job offer
Congratulations! You've got the job; now it's time to accept (or not, if that's what you decide). This thank you email for a job offer recognizes the value of the offer and presents a positive reply to your new employer.
4. Thank you email to the recommender
Getting a job is tough, and if someone has recommended you, it's right to recognize that. This thank you email to a recommender is a professional courtesy, but it also positively reflects you personally.
5. Thank you email for a job referral
This thank-you email for a job referral expresses personal gratitude, similar to the email sample above. If someone has gone out of their way to do something for you, it's only polite to say thanks – and here's a sample thank you email for a job referral you can use.
6. Thank you email to reference after getting the job
Anyone kind enough to provide a positive reference for you deserves thanks if you get the job. This thank you email to reference after getting a job template does that in some style!
7. Thank you email to recruiter after the rejection
A thank you email to a recruiter after rejection is essential for the process. You'll be disappointed, but sending an email shows you've accepted the news and displays some character. Our thank you email after a job rejection template strikes a positive note and aims to continue the connection you have.
8. Thank you for the opportunity email
A thank you for the opportunity email is another way of expressing gratitude for being considered for a role. Thanks for the opportunity emails can be sent to HR teams or named individuals, depending on how far you've gone through the progress. Be sure to personalize this sample for your circumstances.
9. Thank you for your application email
Everyone applying for a position has invested time and effort in their applications, so it's worth recognizing. In this thank you for your application template, we demonstrate how to express gratitude while retaining a professional distance.
10. Thank you email for accepting job offer
It's great that someone has accepted a job offer, so why not thank them? In our thank you email for accepting a job offer, we use the opportunity to add extra details for the successful candidate, showing them that they're joining an organization that will value them.
11. Thank you email for appreciation
It's great when someone appreciates what you do, so say thanks! Our thank you email for appreciation does just that, showing someone that you care and value their words.
12. Thank you email to CEO for recognition
Being recognized by your CEO for your work is a big deal in any business, so be sure to say thanks when it happens. This thank you email to CEO for recognition sample ensures the big boss knows you care about them and the company.
13. Thank you email after the pay raise
With pay packets as stretched as they are, a pay rise can mean a lot (here's our guide on how to ask for a raise), so be sure to say thanks. Our thank you email after pay rise template shows your appreciation for the uplift in your pay.
14. Thank you email for promotion
A promotion recognizes your vital skills, experience, and contribution to a company, like getting a pay rise. They're saying thanks with a better job title and bigger pay packet, so use our thank you email for promotion to show you're happy. And if you need some help asking for a promotion, be sure to read our guide on how to get it done.
15. Thank you email for bonus
Cash is king, so be sure to say thanks if you've received a bonus. In this thank you email for a bonus, we're short and to the point showing how much we value the money.
16. Thank you email to a boss
Sometimes your boss may go beyond what's expected to help and support you. This thank you email to a boss can be personalized for any circumstances, demonstrating gratitude and loyalty.
17. Thank you last day of work email
It's customary to send a thank you email any time you leave a company. This thank on the last day of work email shows you how to maintain and improve your professional reputation when you leave a business.
18. Last day of internship thank you email
An internship is an opportunity to demonstrate to a company your value, so finish as you started, as a consummate pro! Our last day of internship thank you email is an excellent template for showing how much you have valued an opportunity.
19. Thank you email after event
This example of a thank you email after an event is a valuable template that any attendee would be pleased to receive.
20. Thank you email to customer for feedback
Gaining information and intelligence from customers is a meaningful way to improve your business. If a customer has reached out to provide feedback (whether it's good or back), you should acknowledge their effort and thank them for their input.
21. Thank you email for great customer service
You should never forget to say thanks if someone has gone beyond the call of duty to provide exceptional customer service. In this thank you email for great customer service, we provide the building blocks for a great email, but you'll need to personalize it before you use it.
22. Thank you for an introduction email
A personal introduction can be precious, and it's a support that's always worth recognizing. But, again, you'll need to shape this to the person you're messaging, but this thank you for an introduction email sample is a great place to start.
23. Networking thank you email
It's not what you know but whom you know (say the experts). This networking thank you email will ensure that anyone you're professionally involved with knows you value their help and support.
24. Thank you for meeting with me email
Sending a message after a meeting is a courtesy that everyone should extend. So in this thank you for meeting with me email, we offer a simple thanks and request another meeting.
25. Thank you for contacting us email
Having an adequate stock of emails is essential for anyone, and this thank you for contacting me sample is sure to be a success. This cookie-cutter response can be personalized with a name and a company and sent out as many times as needed.
26. Thank you email after negotiation
Negotiations can be challenging, but it's time to draw a line under difficult discussions and say thanks when a deal has been done. This thank you email after the negotiation is about setting out a positive and productive relationship for the future.
27. Thank you email for support
It doesn't matter if the support is from a colleague, friend, or family member; it's important to say thanks. This is a personal message that you should tailor before sending it. Stay true and say it from the heart.
28. Thank you email for helping
We all benefit from the help of others from time to time, and we must recognize and reward it when it happens. In this thank you email for helping template, we provide a basic sample that you can use to shape into your own personal reply.
29. Thank you professor email
If your professor has done something special, then sending a thank you email is a kind courtesy. This thank you professor email sample is simple and can be edited and amended to include your personal messages of support.
30. Thank you email to a teacher
You may be emailing a teacher on your behalf or for the work they've done with your children. Regardless of the reason, this thank you email to a teacher template can be shaped for any circumstance.
31. Thank you for meeting email sample
Saying thanks after a business meeting is all part of professional business etiquette. You don't need to go into too much detail; say thanks, restate the essential points from the meeting, and push for the next steps. That's what we do in this sample thank you email after a business meeting.
32. Thank you for connecting me with someone email sample
Introductions are often the best way to create connections, so when it someone goes to the trouble of doing so, say thank you. This sample email to say thanks for making an introduction is sent to the person and includes an offer to reciprocate. It's only fair!
33. Thank you for salary increase email sample
Times are hard, right? So if you've had a salary boost, say thanks. There's no need to go overboard (you earn the money, after all), but it's professional and polite to recognize a raise.
34. Thank you for your feedback email sample
Feedback (good and bad) is critical for improving how we work and who we are. In this thank you for your valuable feedback sample email, we recognize and respect the time someone has spent sharing their view with us.
35. Thank you after a successful event email sample
Managing an event is stressful, so if things have run smoothly (or even if they haven't), say thanks. This post-event thank you email sample is ideal to share with staff who have made an event successful.
You can easily edit this sample thank you email after a successful event for attendees.
36. Thank you for collaboration email sample
Collaborations between colleagues, teams, departments, and even companies are critical. This thank you for collaboration email sample is a personal message sent to respect a professional collaboration.
37. Thank you for attending a virtual event sample email
Virtual events mean you won't get a chance to meet someone in person, but it's still professional to send a thank you!
This email is suitable for long lists of attendees, but be sure to personalize it with a name and some details before clicking send.
38. Thank you for the update email sample
Regular updates are essential to the smooth running of every business, so say thanks when you receive them.
We've made this thank you for the update email easy to understand, clear, and consistent.
39. Thank you for the confirmation email sample
Received confirmation all your details are present and correct? Say thanks! This thank you for the confirmation email sample is simple and brief (like this intro).
Thank you email template
We've broken down the fundamentals of the thank you email format and some pro samples. If you want the easiest way to create professional thank you emails, use this template.
Our customizable thank you template is formatted in the correct structure and layout. We've used a fill-in-the-blank format to make it as easy-as-possible.
You can edit the pre-written text to create emails that help you say thanks in style.
Thank you email template by Flowrite
The difference between writing a good and great thank you email can be as simple as Flowrite. Flowrite is an AI writing assistant that turns your instructions into ready-to-send emails and messages, like this:
Our browser extension and web app take care of the email format, capitalization, grammar, spelling, punctuation. In other words, you can focus on the message, and Flowrite will take care of the delivery.
Our template collection features dozens of email templates to help you write professional emails such us thank you emails. To grasp how easy and fast it's to write a professional thank you email with Flowrite, check out the example below.
Thank you note for reading
Thanks for reading this guide to thank you emails. By now, you should understand the fundamental building blocks of a great thank you email.
We encourage you to use the tips, copy and paste the examples, or tackle the template to create your thank you emails.
OK, so we've focused on the format and tone of voice; and urged professionalism, but thank you messages should always come from the heart. Use our examples, templates, and guidance to bring out your personality!
Bonus: 70 thank you phrases
It can something be hard to write a thank you email. You can almost feel like giving up and saying: "I don't know how to say thank you." We know finding the right wording for your thank you can be challenging.
Some thank you phrases may not fit the context, and at times it can be hard to figure out how to say thank you meaningfully, but we can help.
That's why it's good to have different thank you phrases and wordings in your toolbox.
These 70 thank you examples will help you find the thank you phrases for thank you emails to your team, co-workers, colleagues, managers, employees, clients, fellow alumni, mentors, HR representatives, or customer service specialists.
Here are 70 thank you phrases that everyone should know.
- Thank you for your help
- Thank you for all your help
- Thank you for helping
- Thank you for helping me
- Thank you for your time
- Thank you for the time
- Thank you so much for...
- Thank you for your support
- Thank you for all you do
- Thank you for all that you do
- Thank you for everything
- Thank you for your hard work
- Thank you for your hard work and dedication
- Thank you for your time and effort
- Thank you for your service
- Thank you for considering
- Thank you for your consideration
- Thank you for your consideration
- Thank you for your patience
- Thank you for your understanding
- Thank you for being patient
- Thank you for being accommodating
- Thank you for the kind words
- Thank you for your kind words
- Thank you for sharing
- Thank you for reaching out
- Thank you for reaching out to me
- Thank you for thinking of me
- Thank you for caring
- Thank you for your support during this difficult time
- Thank you for fixing the issue
- Thank you for applying
- Thank you for the interview
- Thank you for the warm welcome
- Thank you for your email
- Thank you for coming
- Thank you for joining us
- Thank you for attending
- Thank you for the information
- Thank you for the notice
- Thank you for the clarification email
- Thank you for the heads up
- Thank you for your attention to
- Thank you for the great news
- Thank you for the update
- Thank you for the follow-up
- Thank you for your detailed email
- Thank you for your considered reply
- Thank you for taking the time to message me
- Thank you for everything that you have done
- Thank you for your order
- Thank you for your purchase
- Thank you for your business
- Thank you for supporting my small business
- Thank you for choosing to shop with us again
- Thank you for shopping with us again!
- Thank you for your inquiry
- Thank you for your interest in our services
- Thank you for being our loyal customer
- Thank you for your loyalty
- Thank you for being a valued customer
- Thank you for being our customer
- Thanks for staying loyal to us!
- Thank you for your response
- Thank you for a quick response
- Thank you for a prompt response
- Thanks for the speedy reply
- Thank you, and have a great day
- Thank you, and have a great weekend
- Thank you, and have a great holiday
15 Thank you synonyms and alternatives – the other ways to say thank you
There are loads of other ways to say thank you, including some drop-in alternatives to thank you that you can use in an email.
Why wouldn't you want to say thank you? Sometimes thank you feels a little too impersonal and can feel like a cookie-cutter response. If you've said thanks before, you may want other ways to thank you in an email.
Whatever reason you're searching for how to say thank you in other ways, we can help.
Here are 15 thank you synonyms and alternatives everyone can use:
- I appreciate your help
- I welcome your advice
- I wanted to express my gratitude
- Your input is so valuable
- We wanted to say how much we value your support
- Your support is appreciated
- Much obliged
- I'm so grateful
- I owe you one
- Your support means everything
- I'm beyond grateful
- I'm indebted to you
- I wanted you to know just what you've done
- The impact you've had is incredible
These are just some of the ways you can say thank you without saying thanks. Use your imagination and inspiration to come up with some others.
Supercharge your communication with Flowrite
Write emails and messages faster across Google Chrome.
Share this article